The City's Initiative (CI) program provides a one-time grant to City of Houston nonprofit arts or cultural organizations for special opportunities that are not part of the applicant's annual budget or regular programming/annual events. An example could be the opportunity to present an artist or performance that was not included in an annual season; unanticipated invitation to perform or exhibit as part of conference or meeting being held in Houston; or the opportunity for one-time exposure in a national or regional media campaign. Awards are restricted to artistic and marketing costs, with a maximum available of $10,000.
For more information, email Grants staff at email@example.com.
Organizations approved for a grant will enter into an agreement with Houston Arts Alliance that outlines the arts activities that will be supported through grant evaluations and accountability requirements.
FY15 City's Initiative
Application Portal Opens: Bimonthly the first Monday after a deadline
Application Due: Bimonthly, the last Friday of the month
Panel Review: Bimonthly
Notification of Award: Bimonthly
- Friday, June 26, 2015, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, September 24, 2015)
- Friday, August 28, 2015, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, November 26, 2015)
- Friday, October 30, 2015, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, January 28, 2016)
- Monday, December 28, 2015 5:30 p.m.* (For projects beginning after Sunday, March 27, 2016)
- Friday, February 26, 2016, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, May 26, 2016)
- Friday, April 29, 2016, 5:30 p.m. (For projects beginning after Thursday, July 28, 2016)
*This deadline has been moved to a Monday in observation of the holiday weekend.
- As of June 2014, all applicants are required to meet with Grants staff no later than 48 hours prior to submitting a City’s Initiative application. To request a meeting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All requests for funding must be submitted at least 90 calendar days in advance of the project begin date. Please do not submit an application if your project begins less than 90 calendar days from this requirement.
The City’s Initiative application is available through an online application portal.
- To begin an application, click on the "Apply" button below.
- If you have not already done so, create a login and password under the “Sign Up” tab.
- Once logged in, you can begin the application by clicking on “Your Requests.”
- Please upload any supplemental materials for your proposal directly to the application under the “Uploads” tab.
- Email email@example.com should you have any questions completing the online application.